Assembly Part 1


 

Now that the fuselage is clear coated, buffed and polished, it is time to start assembling all the modules and accessories I have built already.  First are the Turbine intakes.  I need to block them so light does not shine through them.  Black electrical tape is perfect, but then the adhesive on black electrical tape is as reliable as a macramé condom.  I solved this by folding the tape over the back pf the part, then running a bead of Qpoxy to seal the tape down.  Now everything should be just fine.



I used tiny bits of double sided tape for the initial positioning, then "spot welded" them in place with thick CA and an acid brush with accelerator.    This is a handy way to temporarily affix parts.  Once placed and verified, I locked them down with Aeropoxy.

Below, you can see the result!  Those centrifugal fan blades look just like a turbine.  I am really, really pleased as to how these came out.  The reflections on the inside of the intakes get pretty cool, depending on the angle.  I can't wait for Les to take professional photos of this!

On the more mundane side, I re-assembled the tail mechanism.  I am using stock blades while I paint up another set.

Getting the assembly in the right order is very important!  After installing the intakes, I never would have been able to put this mesh behind the vents!  I am not sure if I really needed these here, as the slots in the vents are very tiny- but if I don't put them in now, I never will, so in they go!. 

The landing light from Helidirect.ch gets installed.  This is a beautifully machined part.

You can see the quality of the light better, on this inside view.  I used a JR matchbox to set the direction and limits for the landing light.  Also, it serves as a "Y" connector to drive the DeLight LED controller, set to turn the LED on when the light is deployed.

The ADF cannon get attached to the underside, here you can see the mechanics that drive it.

As I was re-assembling the pneumatics "for-real", I had to place the center console in the cockpit.  This console has two working air pressure gauges- one for main tank pressure, and one for gun deployment pressure.  I filled the tanks up to 100 PSI on Sunday, and hopefully in a week it will still read 100 PSI.  I think it will, as the previous installation held pressure constant for about a month while I was recovering from surgery.

Here is a shot of the installed ADF Pod.  It seems like I built this such a long time ago...  Actually, it was about a year ago that I did build it!


The system is pressurized from a can of air like the ones used in Airsoft guns.  As a matter of fact, the filler here was scavenged from an Airsoft magazine.  I have plenty of tanks of both the "Green" and "Red" gas.  Apparently, the "Red" gas is now very hard to get here in the US.  The red gas apparently is capable of charging the guns to a much higher pressure than the green.  Maybe some kid got his eye shot out, so we ended up with another Kalifornia "Knee-jerk" legislation against it.


The Stainless steel exhausts actually have to be "suspended" in order to get the right angle and protrusion.   I supported them on the inside using mounts molded from epoxy putty.  Super strong, but the adhesive qualities could be better, so I augmented the bond with some Aeropoxy- then touched everything up with paint so if someone is looking into the fuselage through a vent, they will not see globs of white Aeropoxy everywhere.



And an overview of everything we have here:

 

 



Home Page    |    Builds    |    Gallery    |    Fleet    |    Videos    |    Old Site    |    Links    |    About Us    |    Contact Us

Professional Photography by Les Bidrawn    |    © 2010 DennisRC.com