needed the panel for the landing gear door to have the same curvature as
the fuselage. The easiest way to do this was to simply lay up the
carbon right over the gear door location. I used two layers- one
uni-directional, and one bi-directional carbon weave, using West System
Once done, I got rid of the
"carbon pattern" with Evercoat.
The Gear door openings get
ledges for the doors to rest on. These are recessed so I can do
final adjustments with thin foam tape, to get the doors perfectly
As you can see, I am
starting to use some un-conventional materials for detailing. I am
using styrene for some detailing, the half-cylindrical parts are easy to
put ends on, simply pair them up to make a rod, insert them in a lathe,
and sand the end round! The long strips are epoxy-impregnated
basswood. I was hoping to get these in resin from Ben at
Cine-scale, but I decided not to wait. These turned our just
Only the gross details are
going on at this point, fine details will go on after the first coat of
primer. The Styrene makes easy work of this phase!
Finally, everything gets
taped up, and off to the paint shop for the first coat of primer!