started with the kit from S-S-M Technik from Germany, which had the side
panels, top, and artwork with an adhesive base. It seemed a bit
thin, so the first thing I did was to add an inner layer of 2mm
Basswood. I also carved out a recess in the basswood to accommodate
the Delrin stop for the front gear, so the thin plastic panels would be
flush, and hide the white Delrin.
Assembly went very easy, I
used rectangular stock for reinforcement. SSM includes corner and
panel braces in styrene, but since I am now using wood, I used this
The basswood also lines the
top panels, and gives me a sturdy mount for the gauges and a stand-off
for mounting the LED's. You can also see the little package of
assorted knobs I got from them, these are beautifully formed and ready
to use without further finishing, something you do not often see in
resin parts. This company really makes quality stuff!
Since everything else is
functional on this project, I decided to incorporate operational
pressure gauges in the console. I got two air pressure gauges from
BVM Jets, and installed them in the upper panel of the console.
This will allow me to view the pressure on the air tank, as well as the
pressure used to deploy the machine guns (or possibly the brakes, as
both are pneumatic). The LED's were wired using the
same wire-wrap techniques used in the main Instrument Panel.
Here is a shot of the
center console in it's position inside the Fuselage:
And a close-up of the
Finally, a really fuzzy
video (sorry about that) of the console and the overall progress of