WOW, I have really fallen
behind in my documentation! I have about three pages to do at
once! I will try to catch up in the next day or so, but here is
Since I am doing a "Full Front
Office" in this heli, I want the interior to be finished. I
contemplate doing prep work on the interior of the cockpit area, but
figure, "What the hell?" and decide to finish the entire
interior. The rough carbon looks pretty ugly, so first, we sand
off the rough spots...
To make sure the exterior doesn't get
primer or paint on it, I mask off the entire outside of the fuselage,
making it look like a blue papoose:
I used 1/4 inch vinyl tape
to mask off the fuselage where the plywood will be epoxied to it.
I just got a bunch of the BVM Aeropoxy, with the dispensing gun, and
bunches of mixer nozzles, and half a dozen epoxy cartridges. We
shall see how it works, everyone seems to be raving about it, and
frankly, it seems a lot easier than building fillets out of West System
epoxy, microballons, and acid brushes. I will let you know!
Off to the paint shop for
some of that 2-part primer I just love so much (just kidding). Bryan
and his father laugh at my masking, saying "Dude, you just have
WAY too much time on your hands". (it was sorta overboard, but
hell, I DID have a lot of time waiting for it to get picked
up!). It comes back the next day, looking like this:
Now, more sanding
and filling to get a smooth surface (especially in the cockpit
area). The entire interior is sanded and filled, but just enough
to eliminate the carbon "bumpies" that riddled the interior.
Back to the paint
shop for an interior coat, then I rough-assembled the wing stubs with
landing gear and the plywood structure to test-fit everything.
Looking good so far, I guess it's time to assemble and try out that
newfangled Aeropoxy system!